8.26.2012

The First Stick

The first stick is always the most nerve racking. You get tachycardic and diaphoretic, close to passing out. But imagine your first stick is on a baby, a chunky little baby that is crying. But thankfully due to a helpful co-worker and the supervisor you are able to stick the baby ONCE and have it flush oh so smoothly.
Well, this situation just happened to me about a week ago and I could have done back flips because I was just so proud of myself to have a successful IV insertion AND for it to maintain patency!!!
As a new nurse, the first stick will always be something you remember forever, even if it doesn't go as smoothly as you may want it to go.
So yeah, a big hooray for me! :)

Tell me about your First Stick and Thank you for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I guess I was lucky, my first stick was a on a relatively healthy guy with good veins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, it is always luck when you get someone with good veins lol

      Delete
  2. Hey Avalon, I was referred to your blog from another hopeful nursing student and I have to thank you for all the wonderful information you give on here!!!! Wow. You are inspiring to say the least. I have applied in and hopefully will be starting nursing school in January 2013. I have bookmarked "you" and will keep reading.
    Thanks again!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw really? Wow, thank you and I am so happy I am able to help you with your nursing journey! Good luck and keep me updated when you get accepted!

      Delete