7.02.2012

LifeLong Learning

Just because you are out of school doesn't mean you have to stop learning. This is something I will believe until the day I die.
As a nurse, learning occurs everywhere and everyday, from working a 12 hr shift to your patients. Since I graduated I have felt that I should be doing something, like schoolwork or studying for a test. I bet I am not the only who feels this way.
But I have found some easy ways to get over that feeling.
One way is to subscribe to nursing journals. Some are free and some you may have to buy a membership. Examples of  free nursing journals are Advance for Nurses and American Nurse Today. They are both amazing magazines with a wealth of information. There are many more magazines out there, so you may have to do your research to find other magazines that spark your interest or speciality.
Another way to learn about different topics is to complete CE's or continuing education credits. CE's are mandatory in some states to maintain your nursing license and other states don't require completion of these credits (just make sure you find out what your state requires).  Some CE's are free to complete and others require a fee. 
And of course, going back to school to continue your education is a no fail way to continue learning. I plan on going back to school at some point to continue my education but I am not rushing into it just yet, I would like to gain more hands on clinical experience before I go for my masters education. 

So take your pick. Three great ways to stay educated and updated on new information to take better care of your patients. 

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment